Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Unix MSDos

I actually remember typing in commands as a kid to get to the games I wanted to play. I would have to type a very exact code in order for the game to come up; obviously before the day of icons. Some important Unix codes I learned that also have Windows/DOS commands.

1) cd is an important command which changes the directory you are currently in and can also move the directory to a folder is /directory is added after it. The MS-DOS command is the same for this particular commadn
2)rm (filename) is used to delete files on the Unix system, the MS-DOS counterpart is listed as del(file name)
3) "who" is used to check who is on the same system you are. Since Unix is an open network of computers which can share and transfer files, one of the first forms of the "internet." who allows me to actually see who is on the same unix system that I am. When I checked this another completely random person appeared, who was not even near the workstation I was at.
4)cal is another useful little feature in which you can view any calender for any year by typing cal (month in #) (year). The MS-DOS version is the same for this I believe, except that you can type out the month such as February instead of "2"

No comments: